Texas Chapter Receives Overall Chapter Achievement Award from APA
The Texas Chapter is proud to announce it has received the Karen B. Smith Overall Chapter Achievement Award for 2019! This award recognizes the overall accomplishments or improvements of a Chapter.
The Karen B. Smith Chapter Awards are presented each year by the APA Chapter President’s Council. Karen B. Smith was a planning consultant in Aspen, Colorado and treasurer of the AICP Commission, until her untimely death in an auto accident on July 24, 1984. She was 36. These awards honor the late APA Board of Directors member for her outstanding contributions to the association.
Noteworthy achievements noted in the Chapter’s application include:
- Creation of a new Membership Committee and Diversity and Inclusion Committee;
- Creation of a Hurricane Harvey Recovery Committee, which was successful in receiving a $10,500 grant from the APA Foundation for advancing recovery and resilience in Texas through Harvey/Sandy dialogues;
- Adoption of a 2018-2019 Legislative Program;
- Improvement in Chapter Communications;
- Creation of the Great Places in Texas Program and partnership with Chet Garner of The Daytripper;
- Partnership with the Texas Public Health Association for the development of the Emergency Preparedness and Recovery: A Toolkit for Rural Communities; and
- Conducting eight AICP workshops over the last year and four workshops focused on training for elected and appointed officials.
Read the Chapter’s Annual Report for the full summary of programs, improvements, and achievements from 2018.
In 1992, the Texas Chapter was awarded the Overall Chapter Program Award under the leadership of Jerry Heibert, AICP and the Outstanding Service to Members Award in 1998 under the leadership of Dave Gattis, FAICP. “I am extremely grateful for the current and past leadership we have here in Texas”, said Doug McDonald, AICP, APATX Chapter President. “This is a great accomplishment that should be shared among Chapter members. Whether you spoke at a session during our Chapter conference or you serve on a Section board, we all play an important role in advancing the mission of APA Texas and making the Texas Chapter the best Chapter of APA.”
The Chapter will be recognized at the NPC Awards Luncheon in San Francisco on Monday, April 15, 2019 from 11:45am-1:00pm in the Moscone West Convention Center. If you are going to NPC19, please make sure you reserve your free awards luncheon ticket when you register.