Senior Planner/Program Coordinator or Program Specialist/Associate Project Manager - Houston
Our program is seeking a skilled and energetic candidate to join our planning team in Houston, Texas. Texas Community & Watershed Partners (tcwp.tamu.edu) is an innovative planning program focused on projects dealing with comprehensive planning and sustainability, public participation, natural resource management, and risk reduction. This position will fill an opening on our project team which consists of planners and GIS analysts. Candidates to be interviewed will have a record of progressively advancing planning and management experience and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. The successful candidate will be responsible for multiple aspects of project delivery and engagement with client communities. The position will report to the Planning Program leader. Experience in projects involving land use planning, public participation, hazard mitigation, and GIS will be essential for successful project delivery. Current TCWP project work engages rural and urban communities across Texas.
Salary: $53,000-$72,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Title: Senior Planner/Program Coordinator or Program Specialist/Associate Project Manager, doq
The position will be open until filled.
Successful candidates will demonstrate highly effective prior experience with:
- Maintaining effective, positive relations as a member of a multi-disciplinary project team;
- Exhibiting strong interpersonal, professional, and collaboration skills;
- Customer service skills;
- Excellent written and verbal skills, including public speaking;
- Designing and facilitating public meetings, charrettes, and workshops to meet planning goals;
- Explaining planning and technical subjects to multiple audiences, including non-technical audiences;
- Understanding agency and municipal plan development, review, and permitting;
- Outreach and engagement with local and state decision-makers, elected officials, agency staff, and stakeholders;
- Identifying potential planning and mitigation strategies that meet community needs; Developing planning priorities and advancing project objectives in partnership with client communities and stakeholders;
- Providing client communities with professional planning counsel and technical analysis from a variety of data sources, including GIS;
- Developing, drafting and completing written plans such as land use plans, redevelopment plans, hazard mitigation action plans, environmental and habitat plans;
- Demonstrating specialized knowledge about best practices for facilitation, land development practices, risk communication, and environmental sustainability;
- Aligning state and federal grant resources with local needs;
- Overnight, project-based travel to client communities;
This position is located in Houston, TX. The position is full time with benefits, paid sick leave and vacation.
- URL: tcwp.tamu.edu.
- Period: Open until filled
- Salary: $53,000 to $72,000
Required experience and education: Master’s degree in related field and 3 or more years of progressively advancing planning related duties and responsibilities.
Preferred experience and education: Master’s degree and 5 or more years of progressively advancing planning duties and project management responsibilities, with AICP or CFM certification.
- Contact Method:
To apply contact firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: "Planner- Houston." All applicants must submit a 1) 1-page cover letter, 2) their resume, and a 3) three-page writing sample excerpted from previous work. Please do not submit project portfolios - they will not be considered.