Principal Planner (Transportation) - Houston
Job Title: Principal Planner - Transportation
Job Grade: 8
Job ID: TR14036
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Serving more than 7 million people in our region, the Houston Galveston Area Council is the cornerstone to address issues that cross city limits and county lines every day. H-GAC is made up of 13 county governments, 107 cities, and 11 school districts. H-GAC prides itself in serving as an instrument of local government cooperation, promoting the region’s orderly development and the safety and welfare of its citizens.
H-GAC is seeking a Principal Planner to join the Multimodal Planning team within our Transportation department. Through cooperation with local governments, H-GAC’s Transportation Department improves the quality of life for residents across the region. Improving mobility and creating multimodal transportation options are core elements in H-GAC’s Transportation programs.
As the Principal Planner you will have the opportunity to lead and manage planning projects that improve mobility, safety, multimodal connections, and economic development throughout the region. The candidate must demonstrate experience in development, project management, and execution of corridor, access management plans, transportation and land use analysis, policy recommendations, and investment priorities that garner broad stakeholder and public support. The candidate will assist with Planning and Environmental Linkage (PEL) Studies for transportation projects. Strong project management, communication and presentation skills are crucial for success in this role. You must be able provide professional and timely feedback to a variety of audiences. Do you feel you have what it takes to be successful in this role? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The successful candidate will have at a minimum:
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Public Administration, Civil Engineering or a related field
- Five (5) years’ experience in corridor planning, environmental analysis, traffic operations, highway and transit facility design and construction, monitoring and reporting.
- Thorough knowledge of transportation and land use planning, policies, regulations and best management practices.
- Ability to plan and effectively manage complex, long-term projects
- Demonstrated ability to navigate federal and state environmental, transportation planning and related regulations
- Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Master’s Degree in Urban or Regional Planning, Public Administration, Civil Engineering or a related field
- Professional Certifications or licenses such as PE, AICP, AEP, CEP, etc.
- Eight (8) years’ experience in urban and regional planning, monitoring and reporting.
- Experience with GIS and/or graphics software including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Knowledge and experience with Planning and Environmental Linkage (PEL) Studies and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process
- • Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database software.
Apply online via: https://h-gac.com/careers
H-GAC is an equal opportunity/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or protected veteran status.
- Starts On: May 9, 2018, 10:20 p.m.
Houston-Galveston Area Council