Planner - The Colony
Under the supervision of the Director of Planning is responsible for processing and reviewing applications for Plats, Development Plans, Site Plans, SUPs, zoning verification letters, variance applications, zoning and ordinance amendments and other current planning applications as received by the city. The Planner position provides support to the Development Review Committee (DRC), Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Sign Board of Appeals. This position conducts research, analyses, survey and prepare reports on Planning and Development issues. The primary role of this position is to deliver a high level of customer service in personal interaction with property owners, businesses, and potential applicants, customers, both internal and external.
- Responsible for processing current planning applications for plats, replats, site plans, specific use permits, zoning changes, development plans, conceptual plans, zoning verification letters, variance applications, and any other planning applications received by the city.
- Responsible for preparing Planning & Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Sign Board of Appeals staff reports.
- Prepare presentations based on staff reports for board and commission meetings.
- Review Site Plans, Plats, Development Plans, Conceptual Plans, Zoning Changes, Specific Use Permits, and Ordinances to ensure compliance with The City of The Colony Code of Ordinances
- Review traffic impact analyses, maps, databases and draft ordinances and reports to ensure accuracy.
- Coordinate, collect, prepare and provide written comments to applicants on DRC reviewed cases.
- Assist Applicants, Developers and their representatives with information concerning development.
- Communicate effectively and courteously with customers, public, vendors, contractors, builders, landowners, consultants, media, and staff in person, in writing, via email and the internet, and by phone.
- Conduct research and surveys, analyze population, demographic and land use data.
- Work with NCTCOG and other regional agency on matters relating to Planning and Development.
- Attend meetings of the DRC and prepare meeting notes and ensures follow up with external agencies depending on their need.
- Maintain current case files with most current and correct information, track planning applications from submittal to approval through applicable board, commission or city council.
- Assist Director of Planning with day-to-day customer service and planning related tasks.
- Ability to work in a multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs.
- Conduct field surveys under varying weather conditions.
- Sits and works at a computer for long periods.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Level: Entry Level
- Position Reports To: Planning Director
- Starts On: Dec. 4, 2017, 4:14 p.m.
Minimum of two years’ experience in any municipality working as a Planner.
Proficiency in the use of a computer and Microsoft Office Applications. Working knowledge of principles, concepts, and theories of urban planning. Good analytical and research ability. Strong customer service skills. Preferred Skills: Ability to understand maps and related graphics.
- Education Required:
Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Geography, or related field. Master’s Degree in City and Regional Planning or Urban Planning can substitute for experience. Valid Texas Drivers’ License with an acceptable driving record.
City of The Colony
6800 Main St.
The Colony TX 75056
United States of America
- Contact Method:
Apply online at: