The GIS Technician provides advanced mapping, geographic data and technical support to the City administration, other city departments, consultants, developers and the general public. This is accomplished by developing, maintaining, updating and publishing a variety of GIS data.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direct supervision from the GIS Manager, Exercises no direct supervision
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develops, maintains and upgrades City maps and GIS databases
- Designs, develops and performs geographic mapping for special studies and projects
- Prepares exhibits for City administration and departments, as well as the various boards and commissions of the City
- Assists citizens, developers, builders, agencies, and others with mapping and GIS data
- Supports City employees in the use of GIS applications, programs and databases in a coordinated effort to expand GIS to other departments within the City
- Assists in the collection of field data to support the City’s GIS through the use of Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment
- Must have excellent verbal, writing, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Latest ESRI software
- 123Survey Application
- Database and database applications.
- Cartographic concepts and standards
- AutoCAD software
- Windows Office Software and applications
- Ability to multitask and effectively handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to deal effectively with all levels of City staff
For indefinite periods of time - mobility within an office environment; exposure to dust/mites; sorting; sitting; seeing; grasping; filing; data entry; cleaning; reading; decision making; lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds; reaching above shoulder level; using both hands for simple and firm grasping; clarity of hearing; communicating clearly and effectively, in person and by telephone; fine finger manipulation; operation of calculator, personal computer and typewriter; operation of a variety of office tools and equipment; operation of a vehicle in City traffic.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or G.E.D. supplemented by college-level coursework in the study of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred
0-2 years of relevant experience in GIS at the municipal government level.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid Texas Driver's License.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
*Duties, responsibilities and actions may change at any time with or without notice.