City Planner II - Dripping Springs
Under supervision of City Planner I, provides a variety of routine and complex planning, zoning, and historic preservation permit review, code compliance, and technical work in the administration of municipal government. Assists Planner I in supervision of Development Coordinator and Planning Assistant. Assists in maintenance of GIS mapping database and provide maps for Public Works and Development Department. Coordinates projects with the Development Coordinator, Public Works and Development Department staff, property owners, developers, and planning/development consultants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists City Planner I in performance of all tasks assigned related to activities that may include planning, zoning, historic preservation, GIS mapping, and development agreement review.
- Prepares and presents staff reports and provides assistance to a variety of commissions, boards, and the City Council.
- Draws plans, diagrams, graphs, tables, charts, and maps using drafting and drawing tools.
- Assists City Planner I in in management of planning-related agenda items for Planning and Zoning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, City Council, and other commission, committee and board meetings as necessary.
- Coordinates and attends pre-submittal and technical review meetings on development projects.
- Under supervision of City Planner I, coordinates with city staff and consultants on large-scale or complicated development projects.
- Assists City Planner I in management of development agreements and planned development districts. Coordinate with developer, city staff, and consultants. Provide technical assistance, prepare reports, coordinate meetings, and prepare and keep track of project timelines.
- Maintains GIS mapping database. Update data as necessary and back-up data regularly. Prepare maps for staff reports, and update Official City Map, Zoning Map, ETJ Map, Transportation Plan Map and Trail Map on regular basis. Fulfill Public Information Act (PIA) requests for GIS data.
- Works with City Engineer, Building Official, Planning Assistant, Utility and Building Permit Coordinator, Building Permit Technicians, Development Coordinator, Planning Assistant and other City officials/staff/consultants when necessary to review planning and development applications and permits.
- Assists Planner I in supervision of Planning Assistant, Development Coordinator, and other staff as needed to accomplish planning and permitting assignments.
- Confers with and advises members of the general public, property owners, architects, engineers, developers, consultants, and others regarding planning, development, and permitting policies, procedures, and standards.
- Aid in the development and administration of comprehensive and subsidiary plans for the physical development of the City. Advise planning and development staff and City officials of proposed comprehensive plan amendments and development of new plans.
- Assists in the development of plans for land use patterns, housing needs, parks and recreation opportunities, highways and transportation systems, economic development, and other aspects of future growth and development.
- Works with City Planner I in management of annexations of land into the City’s corporate boundary. Coordinate with City Secretary regarding required public notices.
- Reviews site plans, subdivision plats and prepares comments for zoning, land use, annexation, and variance cases as assigned by City Planner I.
- Takes lead in City planning process to involve interest groups, citizens, and public officials in stimulating and thought-provoking ways.
- Collaborate with City Planner I in creation of applications including but not limited to zoning amendments, historic preservation certificates of appropriateness, development agreements, subdivisions, site developments, and others as determined by the City Administrator or Deputy City Administrator.
- Assists in maintenance of all Development Department Records.
- Formulates staff recommendations and status reports.
- Represents the City at various meetings. Attends Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council meetings on an as-need basis as determined by City Planner I or other superiors.
- Attends workshops/conferences/training as approved by the City.
- Travels to various project sites and meetings in and out of the City.
- Level: Entry-level
- Location: 511 Mercer Street, Dripping Springs, TX 78620
- Starts On: June 8, 2018, 8 a.m.
Candidates with a Bachelor degree must have at least two (2) years of planning, land use, development, or related work experience. Candidates with a Master’s degree in planning, urban studies, geography, landscape architecture, architecture, or related field are exempt from work experience requirement. Previous work experience for a City and/or development firm preferred.
Previous work experience for a City and/or development firm preferred. Must have experience with ArcGIS. Must be proficient at public speaking and delivering presentations to boards, committees, commissions, City Council and staff.
- Computer Skills:
Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint; ArcGIS
- Education Required:
Bachelor's degree in planning, geography, urban studies, architecture, landscape architecture, or related field. Master's degree preferred.
City of Dripping Springs
511 Mercer Street
Dripping Springs Texas 78620
Phone: (512) 858-4725