This will be a free, two-hour interactive webinar offered by APA's Hazard Mitigation and Disaster Recovery Planning Division. It will feature a broad perspective on preparation of a recovery plan for a community after a disaster. Although there is no fee for this event, pre-registration is required. The target audience is professional planners and community executives. Invitations are extended to all interested planners but particularly to those in states currently dealing with disaster recovery. Content of the presentations is generally drawn from a 2015 report of the Planning Advisory Service, PAS 576, Planning for Post-Disaster Recovery: Next Generation. Participants will have an opportunity to offer comments and questions, and to respond with instant polling feedback. The learning objective is for planners and others to gain perspectives on dimensions of disasters, distinctions between short-term response and longer-term recovery, awareness of successful recovery strategies, examples of informational resources provided by APA and types of funding available.
Specific Topics – Presentations will include:
- Role of planning departments in disaster recovery: tools, timing, phases
- The meaning of resilience, sustainability and mitigation in post-disaster planning
- Information resources for recovery planning, including APA guides
- Brief video about one community’s comprehensive approach to disaster recovery
- Basic features of the National Disaster Recovery Framework – what it means for communities
- Integration of recovery planning with comprehensive plan, community development action plan, hazard mitigation plan and others
- Definition and scope of community recovery
- Elements of pre-disaster versus post-disaster plans
- Key Dimensions of Disaster Recovery
— Resources and Local Needs
— Timing of Assistance
— Horizontal and Vertical Integration
- Case Study Applications (Best Practices)
- Recommendations and Lesson-Drawing
This webinar is also open to non-members of APA but first a Non-Member APA Account must be obtained (no cost) at:
All users must pre-register at: https://www.planning.org/events/eventsingle/9111457/ Registrants will receive an email containing a user-specific login for the Adobe Connect webinar.
AICP Members: CM credits for this event = 2
This FREE webinar will take place on Friday, September 23, 2016 from 11:00-1:00 p.m. EDT (10 am CDT; 9 am MDT; 8 am PDT).