Legacy Project -Join us for a tactical urbanism intervention in San Antonio
ABOUT: The 2016 Legacy Project will be a charrette-style process for envisioning improvements for the Frio Street Corridor, on the west side of Downtown San Antonio. Participants will be divided into teams organized around the 5 major Texas universities with planning programs. This will be a great way for students and alumni to network and learn from each other. It should also encourage some healthy competition. The entire charrette will occur during a 3-hour window on Thursday afternoon November 3, from 1:45 to 4:45 pm. Participants will be asked to work all of Thursday afternoon to offer some significant logistical advantages. Logistical details and a time schedule are included in the following program and schedule summaries. The Legacy Project is approved for 3.0 hours of AICP Certification Maintenance Credits for program participants.
- Legacy project is limited to a maximum of 50 participants.
- Participants will orient themselves to the Frio Corridor with a narrated bus tour of the Corridor followed by a brief tour of the new VIA Westside Multimodal Station and a short (3-block) walk along Frio Street to the UTSA Urban Planning Studio
- UTSA students and VIA staff will provide additional background information on the Frio Corridor at the Urban Planning Studio.
- Participants will break into 5 teams. Teams will be organized around the major TX planning programs – UTSA, UT Austin, Texas A&M, UT Arlington, and Texas Southern.
- Current students and alumni from each program will work together to develop recommendations for interventions for the Frio Corridor. Non-affiliated participants (i.e. not a student or alum of one of the TX planning programs) will join the team from their region or join a team that is short on members
- Teams will be provided guidance on deliverables (e.g. recommendations land use patterns, circulation network, gateway treatments, open space) and targets for new dwelling units, retail sf, etc.
- Teams will spend 2 hours developing recommendations
- Participants will get back to the hotel by 5:00 pm
- Students and others may stay to complete/ refine deliverables if desired. Deliverables will be taken to the hotel late Thursday evening or early Friday morning by conference volunteers
- Each team’s recommendations will be posted at the table for their respective TX planning program
- Conference attendees will be encouraged to take a look at the recommendations
- After the Conference UTSA will produce a final report that incorporates the best ideas from the 5 teams
SCHEDULE FOR LEGACY PROJECT
Thurs, Nov 3
8:30 – 11:45 am – Conference volunteers and UTSA students set-up at the UTSA Urban Planning Studio
1:45 pm – Legacy Project Bus departs from Hyatt Regency Riverwalk Hotel, travels up Frio Corridor, and drops off Legacy project participants at the VIA multimodal station. Participants will walk 3 blocks to UTSA to experience the corridor first hand.
2:15 pm – Background information on the Frio Corridor presented by UTSA students and VIA staff
2:30 - 4:30 pm - Charrette
4:30 – 4:45 pm – Wrap-up
4:45 pm – Bus departs from UTSA and drops participants at the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk Hotel
Students and others may stay to complete/ refine deliverables
Late evening – Conference volunteers transport deliverables to hotel and post them at the respective university table
Fri, Nov 4
Early morning – Conference volunteers transport deliverables to hotel and post them at the respective university table (if not completed on Thursday evening)
Conference attendees view recommendations posted at the University Central exhibit tables throughout the day.
UTSA will produce and post a final report that incorporates the best ideas from the 5 teams