Planner - Town of Prosper
Performs professional review of zoning and development applications, administers the Comprehensive Plan, prepares special reports and studies, enforces zoning and subdivision ordinances, and provides staff support to elected and appointed boards and commissions.
Salary Range: $48,130 - $65,117
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Administer and enforce zoning, subdivision and planning regulations and ordinances.
- Meet with developers, architects, engineers, realtors and citizens before, during and after the development review process to ensure compliance with all applicable ordinances and policies.
- Coordinate with Town departments and divisions to complete technical review, analysis and approval of private and public development applications.
- Analyze technical applications and prepare professional reports regarding zoning, platting and development applications for presentation to the Planning & Zoning Commission and Town Council.
- Coordinates and prepares informational materials and placement of development plans and zoning exhibits on an agenda for the Planning & Zoning Commission and Town Council, attends night meetings.
- Reviews, coordinates and releases pending projects with departments related to results of Board of Adjustment, Planning & Zoning Commission and Town Council meetings, and coordinate preparation of development agreements.
- Maintain compliance with all local, state or Federal requirements for planning and zoning codes, ordinance amendments, and conservation projects.
- Conducts public hearings and receives statements and recommendations related to proposed changes and implementation of various ordinances.
- Create and maintain development activity reports.
- Reviews and releases development or zoning plan requests to Engineering and Building Inspections.
- Assist in maintaining and updating information on the department’s web site.
- Develop and maintain database for information related to ordinances and codes. Responsible for the maintenance of corresponding maps and text.
- Work with Homeowner’s Associations (HOA’s) and citizen groups to ensure compliance with applicable development regulations.
- Travels to conduct inspections and to attend meetings, conferences and training.
- Attend evening meetings of the Town Council, Planning & Zoning Commission and other boards and committees as needed.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Perform such other duties as may be specified by the Town Council, Town Manager, Executive Director of Development & Community Services, Director of Development Services, Town Charter, or the laws of the State of Texas.
- Federal, State, and Town zoning and subdivision regulations, ordinances and codes.
- Planning forecasting and projections.
- Town policies and procedures.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office applications, Internet, Arc GIS, Adobe Acrobat.
- Work in a fast-paced, stressful environment and prioritize and organize various assignments in order to meet deadlines.
- Complete assignments with limited direction and supervision.
- Resolve problems quickly, efficiently and responsibly.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and work in a collaborative, team environment with other Town staff, applicants, citizens, elected and appointed officials.
- Read, interpret and analyze detailed maps, exhibits, site plans, plats, plans, legal exhibits, elevations and façade plans.
- Research, analyze, interpret, implement and enforce complex development, planning and zoning proposals.
- Seek innovative solutions to difficult or non-traditional development applications.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Provide tactful and appropriate responses to inquiries from the public, Town staff or other agencies.
- Plan, recommend, develop and implement public policies and procedures related to urban planning and zoning.
- Mediate, negotiate and resolve issues related to development and zoning applications.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, Public Administration or related field and two (2) years of planning, zoning, and development experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in a municipal government planning department is preferred.
- Must pass MVR check.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening.
License or Certification:
- Must possess a valid Texas Class C driver’s license.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear.
- Must be able to walk, stand, stretch, bend, twist, stoop, and kneel.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Employee must have ability to maintain concentration in the midst of interruptions and background noise.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
This job description is not an employment agreement, contact agreement, or contract. Management has exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
- URL: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/prospertx/default.cfm
- Starts On: March 2, 2017, 3:27 p.m.
Town of Prosper
P.O. Box 307
Prosper Texas 75078
United States of America
Baby Raley, Human Resources Director
Phone: (972) 569-1013