Planner Senior (Historical Preservation) - Austin
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1 .Coordinates division/section activities with other division/sections.
2. Researches information as requested and or needed. Reviews analyzed data to discover patterns and/or discrepancies.
3. Assists in developing operating procedures. Assists in developing division/section budget.
4. Assists in developing and evaluating plans, criteria, etc for a variety of projects, programs, and activities.
5. Investigates consumer/citizen complaint to determine validity. Speaks as City representative before public groups.
6. Reviews complex plats and site plans for compliance with policy codes, ordinances, standards, etc.
7. Answers more complex citizen questions and provide assistance.
8. Interprets/explains/enforces City policies & procedures, building/land development codes, specifications, ordinances, etc.
9 .Attends City Council, board, and etc meetings to provide technical advice and assistance. Coordinates activities of various boards, committees, etc.
10. Writes informational reports. Writes/draft legal documents, i.e., contracts, regulations, ordinance amendments, resolutions, etc.
11 .Develops, utilizes, and modifies complex transportation planning models. Reviews complex traffic impact analyses.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Perform as Lead Case Manager. May coordinate the activities of other planners
Preferred qualifications (one or more of the following):
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Historic Preservation
- 6 or more years of experience working in the field of urban historic preservation.
- Experience working for a government agency, municipality, or other public service organization.
- Ability to communicate information clearly and accurately both verbally and in writing to large stakeholder groups, including citizens, City staff, boards, commissions and City Council.
- Knowledge and/or ability to interpret state and local historic preservation codes and the ability to interpret and evaluate projects under the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation Projects
- URL: http://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/58314
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of the principles of community and urban planning.
Knowledge of federal and state laws relating to planning and urban development.
Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Ability to make formal presentations of program and/or project recommendations.
Ability to work under the pressures of rigid and/or short work cycle.
Ability to maintain confidentially.
Ability to develop and implement long-range plans.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
- Education Required:
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major coursework in Planning, Geography, Social Science, Landscape Architecture, or a planning related field, plus five (5) years of planning related work.
Twelve (12) semester hours of relevant graduate college course work may substitute for six (6) months of required experience with a maximum substitution of two (2) years.
Experience in planning, related work may substitute for one the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
The City of Austin, Texas
- Contact Method:
For additional information and minimum qualifications for this career opportunity, and to apply online, visit: www.austincityjobs.org
Reference requisition number COA 076288.