Planner I - Addison
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under general direction of the Assistant Director of Development Services and Planning. Responsibilities include areas related to growth, development, redevelopment, revitalization, and the physical organization of the community. Focus will, at various times, include the review of development plans, plats, zoning requests and sign permits, demographics, long range planning, neighborhood planning, and/or environmental planning.
Responsibilities include educating staff and public on issues related to subdivision of land, planning and zoning. Duties involve a moderate number of tasks of average difficulty which require detailed knowledge of codes, rules, procedures, and operations. Employee is responsible to plan and organize their own work schedule within established guidelines and time frames. Generally works with limited supervision in a visible position which requires almost constant interaction with the public in situations that require considerable tact and judgment.
• Conducts research and analysis of subdivision, planning, and zoning related issues and presents written and/or oral reports as required.
• Provides information to public and other Town staff regarding Town procedures, ordinances, documents, and data related to land development and zoning.
• Reviews development plans (site plan, landscape plans, floor plans, building elevations), plats, zoning requests and sign permits to determine compliance with application regulations.
• Works directly with applicants and their representatives in processing zoning and development reviews by informing them of the procedural requirements, addressing issues related to their applications, sharing staff comments and recommendations, and providing necessary documentation.
• Processes zoning and development applications in accordance with established legal procedures for public notification.
• Assists Town boards, commissions, and the City Council through preparation of reports and presentations, analyzing and making recommendations regarding specific platting and zoning requests, and by attending board and commission meetings and certain City Council meetings.
• Provides for the proper keeping of records and information relating to zoning and land development including the maintenance of records related to ordinances, case files, map documents, GIS data and planning reports.
• From time-to-time, incumbent may be assigned to perform extra job duties that are directly, indirectly or completely unrelated to their normal job functions in the course of presenting the designated special event(s).
Valid Texas Driver’s License. American Institute of Certified Planners Certification is preferred and will be required as part of continued employment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The annual salary range for the Planner I position is $46,022.60 to $57,528.12 and is dependent upon qualifications. The Town of Addison participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) at a 7% employee contribution rate with a matching rate of 14% contributed by the Town. Insurance benefits premiums are partially paid by the Town with several plan options offered through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and a Dental plan offered through Delta Dental.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is performed in an office environment and, at times, field environments. May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor and plan review. Attends various evening and weekend meetings and functions. Work is generally performed indoors but may involve limited exposure to outdoor weather conditions.
To apply, please submit an online application at www.addisontexas.net and attach your resume and letter of interest. For additional information about the Planner I position please contact Caitlin Kite at 972.450.2817.
The Town of Addison is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services.
- Salary: $46,022.60 to $57,528.12
Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning. A Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or a related field is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The position requires a working knowledge of the principles and practices of urban planning and zoning, federal and state law relating to land use and development, municipal government organization, and a familiarity with legal terminology related to development documents. The position also requires familiarity with software programs such as Adobe, Microsoft Office, online permitting and review platforms, and GIS.
The position requires the ability to orally communicate effectively in both formal and informal settings; the ability to prepare a wide range of written materials that communicate effectively to various audiences; and the ability to operate a computer terminal and peripheral equipment. Must be able to clear a criminal background check, have a safe driving record and clear a pre-employment drug screen/physical.
- Education Required:
Two years of experience in Urban Planning or related field is required with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Town of Addison
P.O. Box 9010
Addison Texas 75001
United States of America
Phone: (972) 450-2817